While this piece of news may not interest many of our readers out there, it’s still big news for Canadians who trade weeklies. Basically, the Canadian-based Montreal Stock Exchange (symbol “MX”) is now offering weekly options, starting December 4th, 2014. For Canadians wishing to sell covered calls in Canadian currency, this is extremely welcoming and quite surprising to say the least. We’ve already compiled the OPRs for our Canadian readers who may be interested in dabbling with covered calls on the Montreal Stock Exchange. Look for the update shortly.
Keep in mind that this new weekly program is actually a pilot, and may not necessarily be around a year from now. We’re hoping it picks up and sticks for quite some time, as weekly options is our bread and butter. The exchange promises to keep the weeklies going until January 31st, 2015.
For those interested, here’s a list of the current weekly options found on the Montreal Stock Exchange:
- Barrick Gold Corporation (MX:ABX)
- BlackBerry Limited (MX:BB)
- Encana Corporation (MX:ECA)
- Goldcorp Inc. (MX:G)
- Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc. (MX:POT)
- Royal Bank of Canada (MX:RY)
- Suncor Energy Inc. (MX:SU)
- Toronto-Dominion Bank (MX:TD)
- Yamana Gold Inc. (MX:YRI)
- iShares S&P/TSX 60 Index Fund (MX:XIU)
Since some of these symbols can easily be found on NYSE, NASDAQ or ARCA, so we’ll make sure to caution our readers with a notice about the exchange in use before they use the data to trade.